Q: What is a U and what does it mean?

A: 1U equals 1.75 inches or 4.45 cm.

A “U” is a unit of measurement used to describe a rack. It lets you know the usable vertical space (height) available. Rack-mountable equipment is designed to fit multiples of U.  For example, 1U = 1.75 inches, 2U = 3.5 inches… 40U = 70 inches.

Q: What is EIA Spacing?

A: For 1U, the EIA spacing of vertical holes in a rack or cabinet is 5/8 inches, 5/8 inches, then 1/2 inch.

Predictable, standard vertical hole spacing ensures all rack-mountable equipment can be mounted within racks. On a mounting rail, three holes are spaced 5/8 inches apart and the fourth hole is 1/2 inch from the third hole. These measurements are the distance from the hole centers. The pattern repeats for each U (1.75 inch unit). Each U begins and ends on the fourth hole.

Q: Why would someone utilize one material over another?

A: There are a lot of reasons to use specific types of material but here are some of the key ones.

Steel – typically can be used in indoor or outdoor environments. It is corrosion resistant if powder coated or has a chemical conversion applied.  Will absorb and conduct heat.  Metal will dissipate heat better than non-metallic enclosures.

Stainless Steel – the corrosion resistance comes from nickel composition.

Die-cast aluminum – when molded it can be impact resistant.

Fiberglass – high impact strength and rigidity and has superior working temperature (-31 degrees F to 300 degrees F.) Good moisture and chemical resistance.  Tends to be more expensive than polycarbonate but less expensive than other corrosion resistant boxes.

Polycarbonate (PC) plastic – higher performance thermoplastic (injection molding.) The temperature range is less than fiberglass.  It can be formulated to offer fire retention or UV stability and offers superior insulation.  This can be offered in a clear material and is corrosion resistant. Polycarbonate objects weight less.  If a PC object weighs 1 lb, a similar fiberglass would weigh about 1.5 lbs, aluminum 2 lbs, and steel 6 to 7 lbs.

ABS plastic – low-cost alternative for indoor applications where rating is not required.

Q: Why are the walls of a molded enclosure angled? (Plastic, fiberglass, or aluminum die cast.)

A: This is due to the draft angle which is required to eject the part out of the mold. If the enclosure walls were straight up 90 degrees, it would be difficult to remove the part from the mold.

Q: Are there standard color references to your products?

A: Our colors were formulated exclusively for our company and its products for use with our equipment.

Q: What are your standard powder coat colors?

Q: How can I send you my enclosure design for quote?

A: You can email one of our general sales service inboxes saleseast@budind.com or saleswest@budind.com. Please include a drawing, the quantity, and if there is a specific distributor you prefer to work with.

Q: What is the aluminum die cast material that you utilize for your enclosures?

A: ADC-12 aluminum

Q: What standard material is used on Bud’s aluminum chassis, panels, and rackmounts?

A: 3003-H14 aluminum

Q. Why would someone utilize a two-post rack as opposed to a four-post rack?

A: Two post racks provide one set of vertical rails to mount to. They are often used for telecommunication applications or other lightweight rack-mountable devices.  Of course, they would typically be lower priced and also are easier to transport.

Q: What is the most popular panel space width in a cabinet rack?

A: 19 inches

Q: Bud utilizes powder coating not liquid paint. Can you explain how it works?

A: Powder coating is an environmentally safe alternative to wet paints. The finish is consistent and free of drips or runs which can occur when using liquid paint.  The powder (paint) is negatively charged by the paint gun as it is sprayed and will adhere to the grounded metal part to be coated like a metal rack or box.  The part is then cured in an oven.  We utilize an IR oven. As the powder loses its charge in the oven, it begins to melt to the surface.

Q: How can I touch up Bud finishes if I damage them?

A: Bud has touch up paint available for sale that does a very good job of repairing the finish.

Q: When modifications are made to UL approved boxes is the box still UL rated?

A: Bud’s enclosures are only truly UL rated when they are in the original designated form. Any additional cutouts or shifts in material could cause you to have to recertify the product.  UL has stated that by utilizing an initially UL rated box, and UL components (like LCD screens, connectors, and switches,) the UL approval process for your end product will be much easier.

To test your product, you will need the Bud standard part number, and our UL file number (E194432) and give to UL. The majority of UL listed products in Bud’s line are under our file number.  If a part  does not appear under our file number, please contact Bud directly to request additional information.  We would be happy to assist.

Q: Can the plastic material of the enclosures be modified, such as adding holes, cutouts etc by different methods?

A: Modifications can be:

  • Molded in, but that requires large volumes and the cost of a new mold
  • Machined in – Typical standard modification method
  • Punched in utilizing a punch and die. This is limited based on modification locations and the design of the enclosure.  There would be tooling costs involved.

Q: What tolerances do you use for modifying enclosures?

A: Within a hole pattern, Bud can hold to +/- 0.005” between machined features and +/- 0.030” relative to the enclosure edge (measured from the bottom right ) relative to a center line we can hold +/- 0.015”.

When adding Digital printing Bud can hold +/- 0.060″ from the bottom right edge of the printed surface.

Q: Is there a minimum quantity for modifications?

A: There is not a minimum modification quantity if we are doing things like cutting holes, painting a standard color, installing PEMs or other basic modifications. If you are changing the material, doing a custom powder color, or changing the sizes of a formed box, then tooling or minimum buys may be in place due to our raw material supplier.  Please note that while Bud can do customization in as little as one piece, costs could be more expensive based on individual set ups.

Q: What types of modifications do you offer?

A: While we are happy to review all custom requests, (should be something here)

Q: Can I order directly from your company?

A: Bud offers our products through a large network of distributors throughout North America and Internationally. You can find a list of our franchised distributors here: .

Q: Do the bottom covers come with the AC Series chassis?

A:The bottom plates are an accessory, as some only need five sides for their application.
Aluminum Chassis Series

Q: Why would some use anodizing, iriditing, or chromate as a chemical conversion?

A: Anodizing is used to isolate, while iridites and chromates are used to retain electrical conductivity. Anodizing increases resistance to wear or corrosion of the product.

Q: Who is my local salesman?

A: You can find a list of your local sales representative by clicking here: https://www.budind.com/representatives.shtml. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Bud’s sales department and we can assist you.

Q: Where do I find RoHs, REACH, and Country of Origin (COO?)

A: This information, and other data about our offering has been compiled at https://www.budind.com/BudRoHSList.htm